Vintage Mavens Illustration

August 7, 2012

Post image for Vintage Mavens Illustration

Today, I decided that I would illustrate Shareen Rubiera of Vintage Mavens. All the photos on her blog are gorgeous, but I went a little ways back into her posts to find one with great color for inspiration. I saw this post and it was an instant connection.

I guess I’m on a bit of a digital flow right now and I really like the work I’m producing. Last night I took a look at all of my old digital art and it just made me want to be better. This method uses no lines and is painted all in one layer which is super intimidating at first. Once you get started it’s so easy to look past since there’s an ‘Undo’ button and you don’t need to wait for physical paint to dry. I’m also using a different brush which just creates a world of awesome with texture.

You have no idea how happy I am. I feel like my blog is finally feeling complete and it took me posting 3 illustrations to get there. Welcome to my style AND art blog, everyone :)

I am open for commissions. If you’re interested, please shoot me an email and I’ll get back to you with rates :)

Stephanie August 8, 2012 at 1:32 am

gorgeous! So talented.

Melanie August 8, 2012 at 11:41 am

Thank you so much!

Ana August 9, 2012 at 7:14 am

Guess who came here via a thoughtful comment ;) ?

I don’t know if you follow comments for possible replies once you’ve commented, but in case you don’t, I’ll repeat myself here, in short: I think you have to decide on what you want your blog to be (a big chain–like place or a boutique) and plan accordingly.

I know that the market is saturated, especially if you want to make a living through your blog, so sometimes you (general you) simply cannot afford to work on a smaller scale for a long period of time, but I’d like to hope that it’s still possible – I know I enjoy blogs with a sense of community, evident in their pleasant comment sections, the most.

And you have yourself a follow :) .

Melanie August 9, 2012 at 11:01 am

Haha, thanks for stopping by!

That analogy makes complete sense. Honestly, I never want my blog to lose its personal touch. I see blogs of all calibers that feel essentially like an empty shell. I love genuine comments so much and I admire the big bloggers who are grounded enough to keep that up despite their growth. That’s what I aspire to be as a blogger. PSS is one of those. She gets extra “community points” for her Bloggers Do It Better challenge, haha.

Thank you for following..I’ll be sure to check out your blog, too!

Michelle August 9, 2012 at 8:07 am

Wow – that’s what you call amazing talent!

PS: I love the look of your blog <3 very simple and pretty :)

Melanie August 9, 2012 at 11:05 am

Thank you, Michelle! Too nice :) Thank you for stopping by!

Amanda August 9, 2012 at 8:15 am

This is amazing! I love Shareen. The illustration of Lily from Pretty Stellar is amazing as well! You are talented ;) Happy to found ur blog! x

Melanie August 9, 2012 at 11:07 am

Thank you Amanda! I appreciate it :) Appreciate you stopping by, too!

Jenmarie August 9, 2012 at 10:39 am

Melanie, you’re just so talented! I’ve been enjoying seeing all your work! I’m completely amazed.

Melanie August 9, 2012 at 11:08 am

Oh, Jennn. Hahaha. I feel like my art shouldn’t warrant that kind of a response. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ashe @ Ash in Fashion August 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Your illustrations are so beautiful! I love the texture you have it both– I know it’s digitally done, but it looks like you did it first in chalk, which makes it seem oh-so natural…

Melanie August 11, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Thank you, Ashe! :) I love texture in my work so I’m happy you noticed it!