2nd Anniversary

June 20, 2012

Post image for 2nd Anniversary

Last week, my blog/baby/life reached its second anniversary. With last year’s official launch of Those Things They Said as a .com, I approached the blog with a new sort of seriousness in regards to post quality. It led to many new opportunities, such as my American Apparel sponsorship (as well as a new one which I’ll be sharing with you soon!). I was also able to share with you some of my favorite thrifted finds. And in a short span of time (oops!), I acquired quite the shoe collection. Of course, I received valuable feedback and support from great passersby, regular readers, and those whom I very much consider friends (you all know who you are!).

With my newly launched blog design, I was really shooting for quality. It’s the first layout that I think feels really done. This past year at school, I had to deal with a lot of confidence issues with my art. I’ve reached a point where I’m ready to share with you all what I do, and I’m ready to draw and paint and design and photograph so much more. This layout integrates traditionally painted elements because there’s no point in separating all the things I love. That’s what this blog is here for–to join all my interests together :)

So, thank you all for contributing to my great year. And here’s to a new, even better one. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Melanie

Jenmarie June 20, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Happy Blogiversary once again! I am in love with the new layout and I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us readers :)

Melanie June 21, 2012 at 2:19 am

Thank you very much Jen! Can’t wait to have stuff to show to you :) Thanks for 2 years of support! <3

Casee Marie June 21, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I’m obsessed with so many things right now. The fact that this is still Thesis blew my mind. Way to customize, lady! It seriously looks gorgeous. I love – a million times love – that you included elements of your painting in the layout. As a longtime reader, who knows how important your art is to you and who remembers seeing you let us into that part of your life bit by bit, seeing those elements honestly speaks volumes. That probably sounds silly, but it’s true. Additionally, I completely understand what you’re saying about it feeling ‘done’. It sure looks done! That’s something I’ve struggled with on my blogs for ages – I was actually just thinking that this weekend I’d like to try to tweak The Girl Who Stole the Eiffel Tower and try to get it to that ‘finished’ point. It just doesn’t feel quite there. But sometimes I think it’s also us looking at it with an overtly critical eye, you know?

Anyway! Congratulations and happy birthday to TTTS! I feel like I’ve seen you grow and accomplish so much, I can’t wait to see what the next year holds!

Melanie June 27, 2012 at 2:25 am

Ahh, Casee! I’m just now seeing this! Thank you so, so much :) I took a look at the default Thesis theme a couple of days ago and thought, “Wow. I forgot what this had even looked like!” Thank you so much for appreciating the details–it seriously means so, so much to me as I put in lots of time to think this all through, face lots of trial-and-error, and then code the whole thing. I hope to be showing you guys some complete illustrations within the next few weeks! I’ve just needed to work my way up to that, haha.

And haha, our “incomplete” blog layouts are almost certainly a result of our self-dissatisfaction. I mean, your layout is already so gorgeous, elegant, and thoroughly thought out that I don’t think there’s anything else you need to do! But, I do admit that I’m hoping that despite feeling “finished”, it’ll be an ongoing projecting that I can tweak bit by bit until it truly is perfect. And then I’ll start all over next year, hahaha.

Thanks again, Casee! Your words, support, enthusiasm–all of it!–is incredibly encouraging and I’m glad to have had you here for the ride. You’re one of my favorite bloggers and it’s wonderful to have your support :)

Kelly June 26, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Aww! Congrats!! I’m so glad I have been able to come on this blog journey with ya! And can’t wait to see all the things that follow! :)

Melanie June 27, 2012 at 2:27 am

Thank you Kelly! I’m glad you were here for it, too! I’m grateful to IFB for introducing me to such a lovely group of bloggers and you’re certainly one of them. Thanks!